I'm trying to walk by faith while giving nothing but love along the way while seeking the love of our Heavenly Father. Will you walk with me?

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Nothing but love.

I make it part of my day to go to daily mass every day. I find that there's something so amazing about being able to have Jesus every day. Once He's in me, then I can truly let go and let Him do whatever He needs me to do. However, today there was a little bit of conflict. After the second class of the day, some friends asked if I wanted to go to Ride Aid. Due to some womanly issues, I had a very great craving for chocolate. I also had some things to pick up and some pictures to print out. By the time we got to campus, it was 5:03. Mass started at 5:00. You would think that undoubtedly, I would go to mass. But I had an internal conflict. I had milk that needed to be put into the fridge and all I wanted to do was sit in my room and eat my chocolate. But I remembered a text that my boyfriend sent me this morning telling me what the readings of today were. Which so happen to be one of my favorite readings (so much so that it's summed up in a tattoo on my wrist). With that reminder, I ran to mass, milk and all.

Here's today's first reading:


"Brothers and sisters:
Strive eagerly for the greatest spiritual gifts.

But I shall show you a still more excellent way.

If I speak in human and angelic tongues
but do not have love,
I am a resounding gong or a clashing cymbal.
And if I have the gift of prophecy
and comprehend all mysteries and all knowledge;
if I have all faith so as to move mountains,
but do not have love, I am nothing.
If I give away everything I own,
and if I hand my body over so that I may boast
but do not have love, I gain nothing.

Love is patient, love is kind.
It is not jealous, love is not pompous,
it is not inflated, it is not rude,
it does not seek its own interests,
it is not quick-tempered, it does not brood over injury,
it does not rejoice over wrongdoing
but rejoices with the truth.
It bears all things, believes all things,
hopes all things, endures all things.

Love never fails.
If there are prophecies, they will be brought to nothing;
if tongues, they will cease;
if knowledge, it will be brought to nothing.
For we know partially and we prophesy partially,
but when the perfect comes, the partial will pass away.
When I was a child, I used to talk as a child,
think as a child, reason as a child;
when I became a man, I put aside childish things.
At present we see indistinctly, as in a mirror,
but then face to face.
At present I know partially;
then I shall know fully, as I am fully known.
So faith, hope, love remain, these three;
but the greatest of these is love."
-1 Corinthians 12:31-13:13

This is what we are called to do; love. We are nothing without love. Love should be what guides our thoughts, words, and actions. Love is what Jesus immeasurably gives us. Love is what died on the cross for us. God is love. 

We're called to love. But how? No, we don't have to make a cross and crucify ourselves on it. But we do have to strive to love and react to others the way Jesus would. That means putting yourself aside and putting others first. Going out of your comfort zone to love the unlovable. Sitting with that kid who sits alone. Defending the voiceless. Giving until it hurts. Lending an listening ear. Holding a door open. Volunteering at a soup kitchen. Helping someone with homework. Not participating in gossip. Smiling at someone who passes you on the street. Stopping and asking how someone's day is. Being quick to forgive and slow to anger. Being selfless. It doesn't take starting a non-profit or opening an orphanage in Africa to love. As Mother Teresa says: "We cannot do great things. Just small things with great love." These small things with great love should be what centers our day. Make it a point to do one thing for someone else each day. Because as James 2:26 says, "faith without works is dead."

"Faith without works is dead." That's pretty powerful. And it definitely makes a great point. We can go around saying that we have the greatest faith ever and that we go to church all the time and that we always pray and pray for others. Yes, that's great. But that's not enough. We can't just talk the talk. Friends, we need to walk the walk. Don't just have faith; live it. We cannot have faith without love. We cannot keep that love to ourselves. We need to do whatever it takes to love. This is crucial. Even if you don't like someone, love them. If someone hurts you, love them. If someone disappoints you, love them. Even if someone persecutes you for your love or questions your love, keep on loving. Don't judge. Just love. Love is a decision and it's up to you to decided to love each person you encounter. Let no one leave you without feeling loved.

"Love your neighbor as yourself." -Luke 10:27

Everyone wants to be loved. And everyone wants more love in this world. As Gandhi said: "be the change you wish to see in the world." It's up to us to be an example of love. Jesus loved to no end. He loved to the point of death. If that's not love, I don't know what is. Let our lives be the proof of His love. Open your hearts and let Jesus work through you. Go out and show the world nothing but love.


No comments:

Post a Comment