I'm trying to walk by faith while giving nothing but love along the way while seeking the love of our Heavenly Father. Will you walk with me?

Monday, September 17, 2012

Keeping my eyes on Christ.

Today started off in a totally unnecessary frenzy, as do most days. I woke up on time, but decided to take my time while getting ready which resulted in me being late to class (only a minute late, but I was still the last one to walk in). I guess that goes to show how unmotivated I can be in the mornings. In the midst of this frenzy, I forgot to start my day off the way I usually do; talking to my Best Friend. Each morning, I give my day to Jesus and let Him work in me however He needs to for the day. This allows me to feel a sense of relief knowing that all of the pressure isn't on me for the day. However, I forgot this today and coincidentally enough, I was feeling rather anxious in class. Anxiety isn't a new issue for me. It's been something I've struggled with since my dad died. But due to a recent growth in my relationship with God, I really haven't been feeling much anxiety; especially since I started college. But today I did. And I can't help but tie that with what happens when I don't keep my sight on Christ. Without Him, I'm an anxious, insecure, weak little girl.

"My child, listen and be wise: Keep your heart on the right course." -Proverbs 23:19

God would have this be the daily bible verse that was sent to my e-mail today. And strangely enough, it fits perfectly with my lesson of the day. Keep your heart on the right course. What does that mean? We live in a world full of distraction. Whether it's facebook when you should be doing homework, advertisements, people, places, things, possessions, society, music, that cute person you have a crush on, relationships, the internet, or a bird flying by your window. You get my point. There are so many things around us that so often attract us and distract us from what we are supposed to be doing. However, what is it that we're supposed to be doing? Yes, I'm supposed to be doing homework right now. But what about in this life? Homework isn't going to shape the rest on my life. As a Christian, I'm supposed to be living in my life is such a way that reveals the love of Christ to others. I'm supposed to be focusing on God and seeking His perfect love. However, this world tends to tell me something much differently. I'm told to conform to the patterns of this world. I'm told to do what the magazines, commercials, and internet says. I'm told to live a life of fun, not a life of love. I can't fall to this. We have two courses we can follow: the course of everyone else, or the course of Christ. I don't know about you, but I choose to keep my heart of the course of Christ; "the right course." I will try my best to not get distracted from Him and I will live my life with Him. As Mike Donehey once said: "we could say "yes" to a bunch of momentary pleasures or we can say "yes" to Jesus who will give us a river of joy." His grace will always be enough. This was proved to me today.

I took a break from writing this and went to mass at 5 PM. On my way there, I heard a group of people in the middle of the green singing "How Great is our God." I wish I could have recorded it so I could share with you how amazing it sounded. By far was this the best version of this song I have ever heard; acapella with the most amazing harmonies. The moment I heard them, I instantly had chills. Once I realized what they were singing, I could not keep the smile from my face. Joy came and completely washed over me. I almost skipped the rest of the way to the chapel. When I was in mass, this joy did not leave. I honestly wanted to start dancing because I felt so much joy. I wanted my Jesus and I wanted to praise Him. When time came for the transubstantiation (for those who are not Catholic, this is the part of the mass where Catholics believe that the Eucharist becomes the body and blood of Christ), it took every fiber of my being to restrain from tapping the kid sitting next to me on the shoulder and saying: "THAT'S JESUS!" I was so excited. I felt like a little kid and I loved it. It was the most innocent and pure joy. It was the joy of Christ. I was feeling His grace. And coincidentally enough, the priest said in the homily how Christ's love and grace will always be enough. That cannot more true. Keeping my heart on the right course and keeping my heart on Jesus allows me to feel this joy.

Brothers and sisters, I pray that you feel this joy. What this world gives us can not even begin to compare to what Jesus can give us. Life with Him is something not of this world. Therefore, we cannot be of this world. We must try our best to not get distracted and to keep our eyes on Him. We must keep our hearts on the right course. Although we can find pleasure in this world around us, nothing will satisfy us the way Christ can. "The only One who can truly satisfy the human heart is the One who made it." Maybe you have yet to take that step with your relationship with Christ. But I can assure you, once you do, you will never want to turn back. He loves you and He will make sure that you know it. Open your heart and let Him in. Keep your heart on the right course.

"Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is--His good, pleasing and perfect will." -Romans 12:2

2 comments:

  1. Marisa, you are a beautiful person, inside and out and a role model for all <3

    ReplyDelete