I'm trying to walk by faith while giving nothing but love along the way while seeking the love of our Heavenly Father. Will you walk with me?

Monday, September 17, 2012

I lost weight!

I went home this past weekend on a mission to buy a dress for my brothers up and coming wedding which is two weeks away (yes, I procrastinated). Sunday morning, I couldn't resist the temptation to weigh myself due to the fact that there simply are no scales in college...well at least that I know of. Upon my weigh-in, I came to find that in the 3 weeks that I've been at college, I lost 3 pounds. I smiled to myself and giddily walked downstairs to enjoy myself a bagel.

But why is this that seeing a number on a scale that was less than what once was made me so happy? Could be that it is a sign that my hard work at the gym and my great attempt (attempt being key word; ice cream is available at all times during college) to eat healthier is paying off? It is that I'm so determined to not gain the freshman 15 that losing it instead brings satisfaction? No. It's that I can't help but conform to society on this one.

Go to a mall. What do you see? Magazines that tell you "lose 15 lbs in 3 weeks" or "this diet is so magical that not only will it make you lose weight, but it will turn you into a magnet for every attractive and good guy out there!" (maybe I'm exaggerating, but you get the point). Advertisements with nothing but super skinny girls who look like they have never eaten anything but celery in their life. TVs that have commercials about diets, exercise tips, and the latest clothes that would only look good on you if you are a size 0. You get my drift? As a girl, this is what I'm constantly exposed to. I'm constantly being told that I need to be skinny, pretty and perfect. If not, no boys will like me and I will never go far and life. And well, if no boys like me, then the world is just going to end, now will it? (ha). You'll come to find that I have a lot of beef with society.

Contrary to society, I'm not a stick, I have a boyfriend, AND he says that he would still love me even if I was 50 lbs heavier. But why is it that sometimes I can't help but look in the mirror and tell myself that I'm fat? Because I feed into the lies; lies that comes from the devil. I once heard in a talk that the devil hates women because we are life giving. We literally can bring a new life into this world. So that's why we constantly believe the lies that we're "ugly" or we're "not good enough" or that we "don't deserve more" or that we're "fat." Have you found yourself believing this? I know I have. But how do we overcome it? God. Simple as that. The lies of the devil are big, but our God is bigger. And because of Him, He created us to be the most beautiful creatures on this earth. You hear that, ladies? YOU are the most beautiful creation to walk this earth. So why feed into what society tells you? I know it can be so hard because it's constantly around us. But I can assure that who you are is more beautiful than what any diet can do for you. You don't need a magazine to tell you that you're beautiful because the One that created the universe sees you as more beautiful than any sunset or any stars. "There can never be a more beautiful you." And He is madly in love with you, just as you are.

Don't worry about what you weigh or what you look like because I can assure you, what is on the inside if way more beautiful than any outfit or number on the scale. You have so much more to offer to this world than just your looks. You deserves so much more than what looks alone can offer.

"For in her is a spirit
intelligent, holy, unique,
manifold, subtle, agile,
clear, unstained, certain,
not baneful, loving of the good, keen,
hampered, beneficent, kindly,
firm, secure, tranquil,
all-powerful, all-seeing,
And pervading all spirits."
-Wisdom 7:23

Your spirit is beautiful. You are beautiful. No matter what you weigh, what clothes you wear, how much makeup you have you have on, you my dear, are beautiful. Please believe it. I know it's hard to believe. I've struggled with believing it before. But when I look in the mirror, bloated and with a food baby, and all I want to say is "you're fat," I just tell myself that God thinks I'm beautiful and that's all that matters. Because it is. What He thinks of me is all that matters; not what society or anyone else thinks. What God thinks. The same goes for you. What God thinks is all that matters. Live knowing that you are loved by Him and that He thinks you are the most beautiful person He's ever laid eyes on, and then the pressure of society will soon mean nothing to you. Live loved. Live knowing that you are beautiful. You are beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment